Serves 4 | Total time: 15 min
- 6 eggs
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- ½ red pepper, cut in ¼" dice
- ½ green pepper, cut in ¼" dice
- ¼ cup scallions
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- 4 oz reduced-fat Cheddar, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter
1. Combine the eggs, thyme, and salt in a bowl and beat lightly.
2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the peppers and scallions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until somewhat softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the egg mixture and cook. Transfer to a plate when fully cooked.
3. Build the sandwiches: Top four slices of bread with half the cheese. Top with the eggs; add the remaining cheese and close the sandwiches with the remaining bread.
4. Melt the butter in the microwave; brush over both sides of the sandwiches. Heat the skillet over medium high; add two sandwiches and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
More vegetarian meal ideas:
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 6-13