Activities and Games, Computer Lab Activities, Interactive Whiteboard Activities
Nina the Naming Newt: A Building Language for Literacy Activity
Nina loves words, so she names everything she sees! Young students join her in naming objects from familiar places around town.
- Grades: PreK–K
Scholastic’s “Nina the Naming Newt” activity (PreK–K) helps children develop language skills and a sense of the world around them.
Students can choose a place in Nina's community that they'd like to explore — including a restaurant, an aquarium, and (watch out!) even a construction site. On their adventures, students help Nina name objects that they see in each place.
By participating in the Building Language for Literacy Language Adventures, children will be able to achive these goals:
- Develop vocabulary skills
- Distinguish different word sounds
- Recognize letter shapes and sounds
- Enhance their understanding of the community around them
- Learn to follow oral directions
- Learn to categorize familiar objects