Egg Carton Spring Flower Wreaths
These colorful wreaths capture the beauty and cheer of spring and make great decorations or Mother’s Day gifts.
- Grades: 1–2, 3–5
This colorful, flowery craft may be more suitable for older students due to the cutting and preparation required.
What You Need:
- Paper plates, one per student
- Egg cartons, one per student
- Green paint
- Paint in various spring colors
- Paint brushes
- 9 x 12-inch construction paper in any colors, one sheet per student
- Craft glue
- Optional: Buttons, pom poms, scrapbook paper, or other decorating supplies
What You Do:
- Have your students cut out the center of the paper plate, leaving just a ring. An easy way to start is by folding the paper plate in half.
- After placing the paper plate ring upside down on a piece of construction paper, the students should paint the ring green. Set the rings aside to dry.
- Now your students should cut their egg cartons into 12 separate cups.
- Help your students trim the top of each egg carton cup to resemble rounded petals, as shown.
- The students should now cut a small slit between each petal on each cup. Have your students gently bend back the petals so they fan out. The egg carton cups should now resemble flowers, as pictured.
- Have your students paint their egg cup flowers with different colors, making sure to paint the inside and outside of the flowers. Set the egg cups aside to dry.
- When the flowers and the ring are dry, your students can glue the flowers in a circle around the ring.
Your students can add whimsical decorations to their flower wreaths! Gluing buttons, pom poms, or bits of scrapbook paper to the middle of each flower is a sweet finishing touch.