Getting Down to Business
Perfect for the start of the school year, this exciting writing prompt gets kids to voice their opinion and provides a means of reading and writing assessment.
- Grades: 9–12
I believe it is important to begin the year with a project that allows me to quickly get to know my students and to assess their reading and writing skills. A quick writing and computer activity helps everyone get to know each other while I begin the assessment of each student. Next, a review of academic success strategies and the establishment of expectations set the tone for a successful year.
- Create a brochure about themselves and share with class.
- Be assessed in reading and writing for baseline data and instructional decisions.
- Review success strategies for content classes.
- Learn the routines of the READ 180 classroom
- Make class commitments to create the ideal classroom environment.
Lesson Plans for this Unit
After brainstorming ideas, students write a description of their ideal classroom and share their commitments to make this class ideal. We include anti-bullying information and expectations of the school, as well as my expectations, to create a display of the classroom climate we agree to maintain.