Unit Plan: Journal Writing from a Graphic Timeline
By Cate Sanazaro
- Grades: 6–8, 9–12
Start the year with an activity that promotes self-expression and reflection. The Graphic Timeline is a creative way to show who you are, where you’ve been, and where you’re going. After completing the timeline, the entries are used to prompt journal writing.
- Utilize brainstorming techniques in a writing exercise.
- Analyze important events in sequential order.
- Create a graphic timeline organizer.
- Set personal goals for the school year.
- Develop an understanding of journal style writing.
- Explore self-expression through journal writing.
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Students take their completed graphic timelines home and allow family members to make additions to the project. Create a time capsule in class to store the timeline for future use. Capsules can be made from decorated paper towel rolls or folders.
Dec 31, 1969